« Home | Friday Menu 2/10 - Spicy Peanut Noodles Redux » | Friday Farmer's Market Haul » | Thursday Menu 2/9 » | Wednesday Menu 2/8 - Grilled PB & Banana Sandwich » | Choxie Rant » | Tuesday Menu 2/7 » | Spicy Peanut Noodles » | Monday Menu 2/6 - Spicy Peanut Noodles and Dumplings » | Sunday Menu 2/5 » | Saturday Menu 2/4 »

Baked Aporridgy

This was my first attempt at a recipe from La Dolce Vegan, and I'd call it a success. It was also my first baked oatmeal experience, so I can't say how it stacks up to anything else, but I can say that it was pretty tasty. Very creamy, although there was a bit of gumminess - flax can do that if you let it sit in liquid for a while. It wasn't really bothersome, though, and I'm a freak about textures so if it was going to bother someone, that someone would be me.

Nutritionally it's very reasonable, but my regular oatmeal has it beat in the protein and fiber departments. I'll stick with that most days anyway, since it's much quicker to make. But this was a nice Saturday morning treat.

Baked Aporridgy
Recipe from La Dolce Vegan, with very minor tweaks.

1 cup rolled oats
1 3/4 cup water
1/2 cup soymilk
3 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tsp molasses
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Dump everything into an 8x8 pan and stir it around. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Eat.

Serves 2 starving lumberjacks or 4 normal-sized persons.

Changes I Made: Regular rolled oats instead of "rolled oat flakes," 1/2 tsp cinnamon instead of 1/4 (because I love cinnamon far too much), pecans instead of walnuts, because I hate walnuts, and I toasted them because they're yummier that way.

Nutritional Information: 232 calories, 8 g fat (0.75 g saturated fat), 4.25 g fiber, 5 g protein per serving, @ 4 servings.



Oh that is interesting, I'm glad you posted the recipe. I have the bulk of those ingrediants, do you think this would keep for a few days?

I have no idea how it would keep... but I have half of it leftover, so we'll find out!

mmm, baked oatmeal. I've made a couple La Dolce Vegan recipes and have enjoyed them, so far. In particular, I make the brown rice breakfast with leftover rice whenever I have it, and it's a really nice change of pace from oatmeal everyday (I have a very similar morning routine to you!).

Am a new reader, and really love seeing your meals written out. I'm a fellow food journaler myself, and am always on a quest to watch what I eat. However, I'm amidst my vegan transition and have not been so diligent...

Glad to be reading!

Thanks for stopping by, ms. mercedes! I'm glad you like the menus - I'd considered stopping them, because I thought maybe they were getting kind of tedious. But it helps me, and if it helps you then that's even better. :) It's excellent that you're moving toward veganism - I wish I'd done it sooner. The challenge for me is more about being a healthy vegan and not a junk food vegan.

I've been eyeing that brown rice recipe - I'll have to try it out.

Yes, I totally dig your site--and def. hear you on the tediousness of recording what you eat. I've been eating sooo much this weekend--not good. And not a happy tummy, let me tell you. The weekends are usually when I fall off the vegan bandwagon, but I'm going to stay on today.

As an aside, can I ask what kind of digital camera you have? I adore your pictures. I have my fingers crossed it's not like some $1000 one...I'm in the market and desperately want one. Let me know!

My weapon of choice is a Nikon D70. It's like my child. :) Unfortunately it's also like my child in that I'll be paying for it forever. But I consider it worth the expense, because photography is a longtime hobby of mine that stretches back far before the dawn of this blog.

Specific model aside, I wholeheartedly recommend Nikon as a company. They made wonderful cameras.

yes, yes they do. I have my trusty manual Nikon FM10. Which is currently kind of dusty. Oops. Thanks for the rec =)

Post a Comment