« Home | 4/18 - Indian-Style Spinach and Potatoes » | Couch to 5K Week 3 Playlist » | 4/15 - Peanut Butter Eggs » | 4/14 - Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy » | 4/13 - Cajun Beans and Rice » | 4/12 - Bruschetta and Roasted Potatoes » | The Sandwich Plus Container » | 4/11 - Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Tempeh Wrap » | 4/10 - Flax-Berry Pancakes » | Sunday 4/9 - Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Bro... »

Workout Wednesday 4/19


It's time for the first official Workout Wednesday! Concept and sweet banner courtesy of Jessiegirl.

Operation: Shake That Ass is still going very well. I started Week 3 of the Couch to 5K program on Monday, and that run was probably the best yet. It's getting easier to run longer, to the point where I find myself almost not wanting to stop. Today was good as well - the weather here is incredible right now, which just makes everything that much better.

The strength training workout has remained fairly tough, especially that damn 3-point bridge. I suppose that a good thing, since when it starts to get easy it won't work anymore. My muscles are never really sore anymore, whether it's after running or strength training, and I'm not sure what to make of that. I always thought that being a little achy the next day was a sign that you got a good workout, so... I don't know. Anyone?

One thing I need to work on is getting more sleep. I've been a night owl my whole life, and now all of sudden I'm getting up earlier but my internal clock hasn't really registered that. Between that and trying to get all of my final projects done I've been getting maybe 5 or 6 hours of sleep each night, which doesn't exactly leave me bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and ready to run at 6:30. It's not terrible - I'm still pretty awake and energetic during the day - but I'm sure more sleep couldn't hurt.

Final projects are also keeping me cooped up inside on these amazing spring days, which is terrible. Seriously, my anger knows no bounds. This is my very favorite weather, and I'm missing it all because I'm stuck inside painting/hunched over my computer working on my digital illustration project. Which is what I'm taking a break from now, actually. Hopefully I'll get all of this stuff wrapped up by Friday, and then one of my big goals is to spend a lot more time outside. I want to go hiking and kayaking and have picnics and take roadtrips. School needs to end like yesterday. Just six more days to go.

In terms of results, well, I suppose it's too soon to tell. The scale hasn't shown any weight loss, which I'll admit is disappointing. I can talk until I'm blue in the face about not using the scale as a measure of success, but it still has power over me. I'm not too worried at this point, but at some point I am going to need to start seeing that number drop or things could get messy. Like I'll bake a cake and eat the whole thing in defiant frustration kind of messy, because if not eating cake doesn't help me lose weight then I'm going to have a whole lot of fucking cake. And then I'll feel guilty about it and it'll start this whole spiral of guilt and shame and frustration and anger. It'll be a bad time. So... hopefully the scale will start cooperating.

I can't say I'm seeing visible results from the strength training just yet, but that could be due to one of three things. Either it's just too soon to see a difference, there is a difference but I just can't see it because I see myself every damn day, or I have too much awesome fat covering up my developing muscles and therefore will not see results for a very long time. I'm hoping for 1 or 2, but 3 is unfortunately more likely. Gotta love that fat padding.

That said, I do feel better. Like a million times better. I have more energy, my skin is clearer, and I'm less inclined toward self-hatred because I feel like I'm making an effort and actually doing something to change what I don't like. So all in all I'd call it a very successful two and a half weeks, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress.

Man, I just went on forever. Sorry about that.

I like the Workout Wednesday banner, spiffy. I’m glad you’re starting to experience some NSV (non-scale victory) in the form of enjoying your workouts more. I find that after I get used to a particular exercise routine it doesn’t make me as sore as in the beginning, but I think you can still be getting the benefits of training even if your muscles aren’t screaming the next day as long as you still feel the exercises are difficult enough while you’re doing them. It is a good idea to switch it up ever 6 weeks or so just so your body doesn’t get too used to something, it will adapt and your workout won’t give you maximum results after a while. I did a Pilates Ball class for the first time last Saturday and my abs were tellin’ me about it for a good 2 days..lol. Good job and keep it up!

Don't get started on self-hatred - I can say from experience that is NOT a good idea! And don't eat piles of cake either, tempting as it may be :-) You sound like you're working really hard and I'm sure it will start to pay off in the scale department the way it has everywhere else!
Good luck! (although I'm sure you don't need luck, with the effort you're putting in.)

I think you're doing great! I bet you have lost weight, but have also gained muscle and cancelled out (as far as the scale is concerned) any losses.

Have you considered getting out a measuring tape and keeping track of the inches? Say once a month. I have my measurements, though I can't say i'm brave enough to post those on my blog... This way you can still track with out scale focused success.

shananigans - Oh, the exercises are still plenty difficult while I'm doing them. :) Thanks for the reassurance. I plan to switch out the strength training routine I've been doing for the Self Challenge's month 2 workout in another two or three weeks, so we'll see how that goes.

freedom - Yeah, self-hatred and I go back a long way. It's probably my fatal flaw. :( But working out has managed to stem the tide a bit, because I no longer feel like a giant repulsive sloth. Well the sloth part anyway. (I kid.) Seriously, just knowing that I'm out there actually making an effort has helped quite a bit. And luck is always welcome! :)

jessiegirl - You know, I've always heard the lost weight/gained muscle thing, and I know it's true, but I've never quite believed that it could make quite such a drastic impact, especially so quickly. I've just been telling myself that things will even out in due time if I just keep plugging along. :)

I used to do the measurement thing - it works. It's nice to have another indicator that isn't weight-centric. I took my measurements near the beginning of this endeavor, so I'll have to take them again soon and see how they stack up. And yeah, I don't think I'll be posting my actual measurements on my blog either. That's just... a scary thought.

I think I read something recently about strength training. If I recall correctly it said something like you have to keep at it 4-6 weeks before you see results. I could be remembering it wrong though...
I'm taking a kick-my-ass class at the gym and I was hoping it would show earlier, but as long as it shows sometime soon I'll be happy!

Girl, you are fierce! Good for you for keeping on top of it! It's very easy to feel discouraged soon after starting weight training - the 2 weeks after you start have the highest abandonment rate because often you'll GAIN a few lbs. of muscle and not want to keep going. I've been weight training regularly (3x/week) for 4 weeks now and last week the weight has started to peel right off - it's incredible. Whereas when I was eating well and doing cardio, my weight was barely budging, now I'm regularly seeing 2 lbs. of weight loss per week. So keep at it! :):) I'm watching you...

emily - I've heard that too, so I'm reserving judgement until I've been at it for at least a month or so. It has to start showing eventually. :)

kat - Wow, way to motivate! Any reference to weight peeling off definitely piques my interest. :) I'm actually finding the weight training more difficult than the cardio, which is really interesting. I'm not in great shape, obviously, so I thought that running would prove more of a challenge than throwing around some dumbbells... but damn! Those things kill.

Post a Comment